Gas Line Repair
Natural gas is one of the most common and affordable forms of energy to residential consumers. Although relatively safe and very efficient, consumers of natural gas should be aware of possible hazards to better protect their homes and families.
Carbon Monoxide Poisoning. Carbon monoxide is a potentially harmful by-product of using natural gas. When inhaled, this toxic gas can be very harmful. Unfortunately, carbon monoxide is completely odorless and colorless, making it almost impossible to detect on your own. Exposure to carbon monoxide can cause flu-like symptoms, as well as headaches and dizziness.
To reduce the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning:
- Install carbon monoxide detectors in multiple areas of your home.
- Inspect the vents, flues, and chimneys of all gas water heaters, furnaces, and fireplaces for proper ventilation of exhaust.
- Never heat the house with your gas oven.
- Never sleep in a room heated by a gas or kerosene space heater without proper venting.
Gas Line Leaks. Gas line leakage is rare, but can be extremely dangerous. Natural gas buildup in an enclosed area can cause illness or even an explosion. Gas pipe leaks can also happen outside the home and are equally as dangerous. Before doing any job that requires digging outdoors, homeowners should call their local utility company to identify and mark the gas lines before digging begins.
Natural gas has a “rotten egg” odor that’s been added to warn us of a leak. If you smell this distinctive odor in your home, please do the following:
- Do not use your cell phone until safely out of the house.
- Shut off gas valves at your home.
- Do not turn on or off any electrical appliances.
- Do not smoke or use any open flame.
- Do not attempt to locate the leak.
- Get a safe distance away from the house, and then call 911 and the utility company.
- If a natural gas line is damaged when digging outside, call your local utility company immediately. Do not attempt a gas line repair